My biggest beef with this civil liberty-violating law is the fact that it doesn't identify the driver. And the law reads that it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to prove that it was not him or her driving the vehicle. THIS IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL! The constitution of the United States specifically states that we are innocent until provent guilty. It's called presumption of innocence. Read up on it.
There are dozens of reasons why these cameras need to go. In my not-so-humble opinion, here are the biggest reasons to oppose them:
- The laws are unconstitutional
- This is more about revenue than public safety
- The driver is not identified (see unconstitutionality)
- Up to 40% of the ticket money leaves our area and goes to ATS in Arizona
- I really suspect ATS of some shady dealings but can't prove it
- THIS IS A CIVIL LIBERTIES VIOLATION
That being said, head out to RedlightCameraBan.com and read up on it and maybe even sign the petition. Right now they're just working on the city of St. Louis but they are hoping to expand this to the entire state.
Thank you to KTVI (Fox 2 in STL) for running the story about this website.
For what it's worth, Francis Slay and Kathleen Hanrahan will both lose my vote by inaction.